The Salomon Trail Running Festival at Pineland Farms in New Glouchester, Maine takes place annually each May. This kid-friendly festival features YMCA Kid’s Zone throughout the race weekend and several trail race options for grown-ups and kids, including 5K, Barefoot 5K, Canicross 5K, 10K, 25K, 50K and 50 Mile races.
The races feature wide trails over rolling grassy fields throughout the working Pineland Farms, well-marked trails, stocked aid stations, encouraging volunteers, free event photographs, quality finisher souvenirs, and a potluck style food banquet for finishers.
My family had a blast racing at Pineland Farms this past May, along with our friends and their children. The trail running festival takes place only minutes to Freeport, Maine, so the location makes a great family weekend getaway. Freeport, the home of L.L. Bean, features factory outlet shopping in an adorable downtown area, along with a number of tasty restaurants and accommodations.
Where to Stay:
- Casco Bay Inn. A quaint, independent Inn, featuring clean rooms and continental breakfast.
- Comfort Suites. Located close to L.L. Bean, features a pool to keep kids entertained.
Where to Eat:
- Derosier’s. Serves ice cream, homemade Gelato, and gluten free cones.
- Old World Gourmet. A yummy deli serving fresh sandwiches, salads, and soups. Friendly staff and green space for the kids to run around outside while Mom and Dad finish up their lunch.
Where to Shop:
- If yoga wear, Bohemian, Eastern-inspired trends are your style, don’t miss Mexicalli Blues in Freeport. Fabulous store for unique finds at reasonable prices. Features a baby/children clothing section with Eastern- inspired prints and designs.